Sunday, July 02, 2006

Make it so

At the recent London conference Barry Worrall mentioned that the Men's movement suffers from weak philosophies; all we have been demanding is child contact or equal parenting time. My own agenda is slightly different, due in no small part to the fact that I am not a parent. Rather than a lack of child contact following separation, what has brought me to this place is a feeling I have had throughout my adult life that I am, despite my best efforts to be a good citizen and do all the right things, a kind of social pariah, a second-class citizen in my own house, while the moral high-ground is dominated by people who are selfish, narcissistic, manipulative, petulant, opportunistic, hypocritical, deceitful and anti-intellectual, whose world-view openly derides reason and embraces instead any passing faddish mysticism, people who have, in short, absolutely no right to claim any kind of moral or intellectual superiority. I have been chronically and systematically offended by the behaviour of the feminists I have met, even while I supported them. My university years, my peace movement activism in the 1980s, my workplaces and my private life have all been consistently blighted by feminism. I cannot pick up a broadsheet newspaper without finding myself being derided by the narrow bigotry of those who claim to be in the vanguard of liberalism. The closet totalitarianism of feminism, and the resulting cultural position of men, are simply intolerable. As a long-standing Left-wing sympathiser, I am deeply offended by feminism's appropriation of the Left and of 'progressive' causes. I find myself being derided as an arch-conservative social reactionary by people who have no idea of my beliefs, and who, moreover, are not interested in having any kind of meaningful dialogue. I am, despite my activism, derided as hopelessly sexist by people who are themselves the most sexist people I have ever met. I am profoundly offended by feminism for many, many reasons, both intellectual and political. But it is not just about me. Even if we could stop them today, the social, political, legal and cultural damage already wrought by them would take decades to repair. This is the message I wish to communicate. It is not really about child contact. It is much, much bigger than that.

I believe that there are many men, perhaps mainly educated, young, middle-class men, who are as outraged as I am by the situation, quite apart from fathers. But they have no idea how to articulate it, much less what to do about it, and they feel isolated, as I did.

Family law, however, is currently providing the principal catalyst for a raising of male political consciousness. The two main issues are lack of child contact and false accusations of child abuse and domestic violence, which often occur together as a result of divorce. These issues are affecting the lives of many, otherwise non-political, men, including working-class men.

The best thing men can do is to stand up for ourselves and publicly oppose feminism. Provide inspiration, support and leadership for other men, and make hay with stories of false accusations, female offenders or wronged fathers. We should make alliances with pro-family interest groups as much as possible, and if this means conservative or religious communities then so be it. They are perhaps our best hope at the moment. I believe that there is a mass movement waiting to happen. The men's movement is lively on the internet, and growing. I believe there are grounds for optimism.

2 comments:

jw said...

You said "As a long-standing Left-wing sympathiser, I am deeply offended by feminism's appropriation of the Left and of 'progressive' causes. I find myself being derided as an arch-conservative social reactionary by people who have no idea of my beliefs, and who, moreover, are not interested in having any kind of meaningful dialogue."

I couldn't agree more! I find myself in the same position and with the same thinking. I find myself moving more to the right, even though I have little sympathy for many rightist position; I make the most to the right simply to escape the contempt for all males which is the left as it now exists.

"I am, despite my activism, derided as hopelessly sexist by people who are themselves the most sexist people I have ever met."

YES! Yes, a million times yes.

The most sexist people I have ever had the misfortune to deal with are the feminists and their supporters the "Men against sexism." Viscious people ...

Peter. said...

"As a long-standing Left-wing sympathiser, I am deeply offended by feminism's appropriation of the Left and of 'progressive' causes".

In the context of the present day that is an irreconcilable paradox. Feminism is the cherished sceptre of the modern left.

Identifying oneself as a 'Left-wing sympathiser' (the left having evolved into something that is now both inhuman and anti-human), whilst at the same time claiming to be offended by feminism would be no different to a hypothetical statement, made by a 1930's German Nazi, declaring outrage at the anti-semitic propoganda and practise of his time.