Monday, August 27, 2007

Brief Encounter

Yesterday I met up with Neil Lyndon, the journalist and author of ‘No More Sex War’. For those who don’t know him, he was one of the UK’s most successful journalists of the 1980s, having written for every newspaper in the country. But all of that ended when he published his book in 1992, criticising feminism. He suddenly found his work drying up. His marriage ended. He was declared bankrupt and separated from his son for five years. He was vilified in the press, accused of having a small penis, not being able to get a girlfriend, the usual ad hominem attacks. Even today, more than a decade on, he still remains something of a journalistic pariah, largely unable to publish articles on anything other than cars and motorcycles, and his seminal book is difficult to find.

“I’ve been told about a Guardian editorial meeting in which a story about sexual politics was being discussed. Someone said, ‘Shall we ask Neil Lyndon what he thinks?’, and Polly Toynbee replied, ‘No, let’s not give him any attention’”.

“Really?”

”So I’ve been told anyway”.

This morning he told me “About two years ago I was sacked from my job on the Scotsman. I used to write a gardening column for them. One day, some woman wrote a letter to the Scotsman complaining about how bad everything is for females, and I wrote a reply to it. The reply was published. Then I was sacked”.

The passive-aggressive exclusion of dissidents like Lyndon continues even today. This is how the feministas operate. What people like Polly Toynbee are terrified of is that Lyndon may actually be right. That he may have a case. If he is obviously wrong, if his ideas are nothing but the ravings of a lunatic, then why go to all that trouble to suppress him? Toynbee and her ilk cannot stomach the possibility that everything they have believed in throughout their adult lives has been mistaken, so they have to coerce the opposition into silence. These are the tactics of Stalinist Russia, not a supposed democracy.

We met on a Sunday morning in a fashionable area of South London, where Neil had spent part of his childhood. Businesses were just starting to open up, and we looked around for somewhere to have coffee.

“This was a working-class area when I was a child”, Neil told me. “Look at it now”. I looked around. Surely one neighbourhood can only support so many organic delis.

We approached a guy cleaning the windows in a bar, and asked him if they were open. They were. We were the only customers.

We sat reflecting on the state of the men and fatherhood movement. We discussed the fact that the level of our activism is limited by the need to go to work and make a living, like most men. This contrasts sharply with many of the Toynbee generation of feminists, whom Erin Pizzey referred to as ‘trust-funded bunnies’, middle-class women so oppressed that they could afford to spend their days writing books about how awful their lives were, and how terrible their fathers were, while living off their father’s wealth, with no need to support themselves.

Neil was more pessimistic than I about the state of things. I agreed with him that there is no real organisation or focus, but my optimism is based on the fact that there is a huge ground-swell of anger bubbling just under the surface, and it will not stay there for ever. As we chatted, suddenly the window cleaner approached us.

“Are you guys members of that fathers’ group?” he asked us.

I nodded. It’s difficult to say what you’re actually a member of. I’m more of a freelancer. He was a divorced father himself, and he launched into an angry tirade about the way the system had treated him.

“When we split up she got custody of the boy. Then when he was fourteen, she got a new bloke in and she kicked him out, told him ‘You can go and live with your dad’. All that time she was getting CSA from me, then when he came to live with me, I didn’t get no fucking CSA. I didn’t get a penny from her. She was still getting tax credits from the government. I told them he was living with me, and they didn’t believe me, they had to check with her. When they found out, they made her pay back all the tax credits, but they didn’t give them to me. I’ve applied for them and they’ve turned me down”. He went on for some minutes while we nodded sympathetically.

Neil had been in this position himself, and I had heard similar stories a hundred times.

"Anyway", the window cleaner eventually said, "I'd better crack on". He left us and went back to his work. I wonder how Victims of Oppression like Toynbee and Greer would like to spend their days cleaning windows in a pub for minimum wage, then giving half of it to their ex-husband to pay for children they never see. That would give them something to moan about.

Encounters like this are the reasons for my optimism, if you can call something so depressing ‘optimism’. There is a powder-keg waiting to blow. Sooner or later something will light the blue touch-paper. It may not be one single thing. It may be a combination of things. Anger may just reach a critical mass one day. But one thing is for sure. This situation cannot continue forever.

5 comments:

ze german said...

There is no leader and there is no organized group, but men are waking up, just last week, out of the blue, I heard these comments from different guys:

"You cannot discuss with feminists. For them it is a religion, and any fact you throw at them, will just pass them by"

"The women here a past, what you call it???, hah, the last use date"

"Our idea of honour does not exist in the female world."

"You cannot logically talk with a woman"...

And a few others, that I forgot. Mind you, these guys have not heard of MGOTW.

Mainly the other comments are men's disliking to women's irresponsibility and men not anymore giving women the "pussy pass" for life.

Uncharted Thoughts said...

After reading articles like this you start to see a pattern of selfishness on the womens part.

As long as its convenient she keeps the husband and kids around.

Like here, the kid became an inconvience so she sends him with the inconvient father. Obviously the husband was inconvient earlier so she tossed him.

Honestly, I can safely say this movement saved me from a painful divorce in a couple years. I almost married this girl, but wanted time to think it through. I started seeing that I was the only one sacrificing for the relationship. She wouldn't sacrifice a thing for the relationship.

That is the true test everyone. Sacrifice must be mutal.

John Doe said...

I read "No more sex war" recently and found it at once ahead of its time, but also depressing as nothing has changed for the better and much has got worse. Incidentally, it's not that hard to find, amazon.co.uk currently lists 21 available copies. It is a little vitriolic in places and has an academic air when talking about political philosophy. As a polemic, it is well worth reading, but don't go looking for facts to bolster argument.

Heretic, I would be interested in communicating directly with you. If you are open to the idea, please leave a comment with instructions on how to contact you on my blog, disenfranchisedfather.blogspot.com (it won't be published).

Heretic said...

John Doe,

You can email me any time at hereticalsex@yahoo.co.uk

Heretic

Richard Ford said...

It is true that we remain in the incubation stage of a movement. Men are just learning that it is OK to think certain thngs- but there ARE plenty of organizations to join.

Try searching FNF, Mankind initiative and f4j.

Most of the internet croud have not joined these groups and I think we should. Take a lifetime membership out on each if you can!