Why would anyone believe something so patently absurd?
The mythology of gender feminism runs something like this:
- In ancient times, the world was a peace-loving society run by women, in which everyone worshipped goddesses. War, illness and suffering were unknown.
- Several thousand years ago (no-one quite knows when), men - who are essentially violent and bad - seized political control of the world from women - who are essentially peace-loving and good - in some kind of violent political and military coup.
- Since then, all over the world, men have been running society to suit themselves, and holding women in a state of abject submission.
- The world they have created has been a disaster, full of misery and suffering.
- They have even created a mental prison for themselves called ‘masculinity’, an evil ideology which forces them to be violent, callous and destructive. Which they already are anyway.
- Masculinity is the root and origin of all other forms of political oppression, such as sexism, racism and homophobia (never mind misandry and heterophobia, they don’t count. Even my spell-checker doesn’t recognise them).
- Its obverse, femininity, was an equally evil ideology designed to oppress women by making them weak.
- Even though this situation obtained across the entire world for thousands of years, no-one noticed it until Western middle-class feminists first identified it sometime after 1965.
- We should all be grateful to those clever feminists, because they have shown us that it is possible to end all human suffering once and for all, and to create a paradise on earth.
- Only feminists can save the world, by saving men from their own evil and stupidity.
- Men should step aside and give over all political power and authority to feminists, who understand how to use it wisely.
- Men can attempt to redeem themselves by becoming more like feminists. They will never be as good as feminists, obviously, but by becoming less masculine, they can at least try to raise themselves above the level of the beast.
This is, more or less, the orthodox theology of the Religious Left.
So far, so nonsensical, I hear you say, but why does that constitute a racket?
Firstly, the whole story is specifically designed to sideline men, and to concentrate power and moral authority into the hands of women. “You’re essentially evil, you should step aside and let me do it. I’ve been systematically deprived of opportunity for…er… a very long time, and it’s all your fault, so it’s my turn now. You should give everything to me”. This is a racket.
Secondly, bear in mind that feminists are deeply committed to the policy of social constructionism, aka the standard social science model. Reference. This is the belief that nothing in human behavior is biologically determined; everything is a product of one’s social environment. So, everything is relative, except that women are essentially good and men are essentially bad. This is a racket.
Thirdly, look what happens when someone has the temerity to disagree. They are derided for not being sufficiently masculine, of all things. Look at what happened to Neil Lyndon. He criticised feminism and was accused of not being able to find a girlfriend and of having a small penis. Having urged men to reject masculine values, feminists then deride them for not being sufficiently masculine. This is a racket. However, it's a very old one. Manipulating men by taunting them about their masculine prowess is as old as human nature. It's a useful tool that feminists see no reason to give up. It is - ironically - also sexist. If male journalists told a feminist writer "You only wrote that book because you're frigid and you can't find a boyfriend", they would be accused of sexual harrassment. Again, we see the double standards which are built into the very fabric of feminist theory.
Fourthly, masculinity is perfectly good as long as women are doing it. When women cultivate and display 'masculine' characteristics such as aggression, ruthlessness, ambition, stoicism, feminists celebrate the fact, because it means that these women are strong. Masculinity is also the thing which makes you sexually attractive as a man, whether you are straight or gay. Women find masculinity deeply attractive, and find men who lack it unattractive.
Make no mistake. Feminists regard masculinity as a source of strength, and they are quite right in this. It is your greatest asset; that is why they want to persuade you to relinquish it. When feminists tell you that masculinity is evil, and that you should turn your back on it, you are being manipulated. Wake up to this fact. Cultivate masculinity, and take pleasure in being a man. It is a fool's errand in any case; asking men to relinquish masculinity is like asking a camel to relinquish its humps. Not everything in life is a cultural construct.
Gender feminism is a racket, pure and simple. It does not have to make sense because it relies on the emotional manipulation of the gullible in order to work. The intention is to undermine men by destroying their morale and their credibility, and to persuade them to voluntarily withdraw from the competition for jobs, influence, money, or whatever is on offer. It is naked opportunism from one minute to the next, designed to maximise advantages for feminists, and in order to work it relies on the assumption that we all have the memory-spans of gold-fish, and cannot put two and two together. It is an enormous political con-trick.